Singing OUT welcomes new members at the beginning of each term in September and January.
The rest of the year, new members are welcomed on the first Tuesday of the month.
Here are some important things to know if you’d like to join the choir:
- Do I have to audition? How do I join?
- Do I have to know how to read music?
- Do I have to identify as LGBTQ?
- What am I committing to?
- Are the musical sections divided strictly along gender lines?
- Is there flexibility regarding concert attire to accommodate people who are uncomfortable with binary dress codes?
- When and where does Singing OUT rehearse?
- How much are dues?
1. Do I have to audition? How do I join?
No, you do not have to audition. Singing OUT is a non-auditioned choir and we welcome both seasoned and beginner singers. If you love to sing and want a sense of belonging in the LGBTQ community, come out for rehearsal – we’d love to see you there!
If you’d like to join, simply show up to rehearsal with a positive attitude and a love of singing.
2. Do I have to know how to read music?
You do not have to know how to read music to be a member of the choir. We provide vocal audio tracks at the beginning of each term to help you learn your music.
3. Do I have to identify as LGBTQ?
It is not necessary for you to identify as LGBTQ. We love our straight allies!
4. What am I committing to?
Singing OUT rehearses once a week on Tuesdays from 7:00-9:30pm.
Singing OUT rehearses from September-June each year.
There is one performance per term (a holiday concert and a spring concert).
There is also a cabaret once a year, but participation is not mandatory.
All performances are memorized, off-book. You will need to listen to rehearsal tracks and memorize your notes and words.
You can also become a volunteer: Singing OUT relies on its volunteers and you help to make Singing OUT happen.
If you have a spare hour or more per week, please join a committee. Fill out the Membership Form and let us know what committees you’d like to be involved in.
Everyone has something to offer and we appreciate all the assistance we can get. We have fundraisers, concerts, community events, and other activities where your expertise and enthusiasm can be utilized.
5. Are the musical sections divided strictly along gender lines?
No. We label sections only by vocal ranges: soprano, alto, tenor and bass and therefore no matter how anyone identifies there is a range section appropriate for them.
6. Is there flexibility regarding concert attire to accommodate people who are uncomfortable with binary dress codes?
Yes, as long as you stick to the overall look or colour scheme that has been selected for the performance, you will be able to choose the type of clothing that suits your gender presentation.
7. When and where does Singing Out rehearse?
Singing OUT rehearses each Tuesday from 7-930 pm. Rehearsals are at the 519 Community Centre, Ballroom, 519 Church Street.
8. How much are dues?
Regular membership is $300 per year ($150 per term) and can be paid either in person or online, with a number of payment options available. Under 30 membership is $150 per year ($75 per term), thanks to generous support from the Pride & Remembrance Foundation. Financial assistance is available. Membership dues are income tax deductible.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.